My (Preferred) Alter-Ego (come find me here!)

Get the latest delivered to your inbox

Please note: you must click the link in the verification email from Feedburner to complete your subscription request. If you don't receive an immediate response from Feedburner, you may need to adjust your email spam settings. Subscribe to thoughts in the watchtower by Email

Friday, February 5, 2010

begin with them

His sincerity made me smile, and though I could not see him through my closed eyes, I imagined him flicking back a lock of hair to expose the impassioned crease furrowing his brow. I caressed the cold carpet with my fingertips, half of me praying along and half of me troubled as he prayed, "God, send us revival and let it start right here with this group." God couldn't start revival in the city with that group, though, could He? Not when we'd prayed so long He'd start moving through us....

Conviction still floods me when I realize the selfishness of my heart that night. How much time had I wasted, waiting for the Holy Spirit to manifest in my own little pre-fabricated box--unwilling to support His working in the city outside of my own ministry bubble unless I was directly involved in leadership of that movement in some way. Sadly, that's how it is with many of us. It's a pendulum existence of either believing that God cannot possibly move in a denomination, church, ministry, etc. outside of the one in which we're directly involved, and shunning any opportunity to be planted and established in a church or ministry family. Where's the balance between the two?

For me, it came down to the question I felt God ask me tonight: "Are you desperate enough for revival that you are willing to relinquish the glory of being in the group where it breaks out initially?"

Churches in Terre Haute, Indiana and Peoria, Illinois have embraced an intensive 21-day consecration period of fasting and prayer seeking a move of God that they're calling "The Divine Experiment." They're turning away from texting, television, facebook, cell phones--all kinds of things that aren't bad, but are distractions--and meeting corporately every night to fast, pray, and cultivate a place for the Presence of God to rest. The testimonies that are coming from this are so encouraging, but the one that has stayed with me the most has been about the Baptist church in Peoria that is suddenly experiencing a move of the Holy Spirit without even being involved in The Divine Experiment.

What a beautiful example of God's heart to move on regions, not just on solitary church buildings. My prayer lately has been, "God, I want to cultivate such an atmosphere of prayer in my home that neighbors down the road or people driving by start getting filled with the baptism of the Holy Spirit without knowing why. Let my life become a spiritual hot spot even without the label or fame of this."

My prayer is no longer just, "God, send revival and let it start with me." Don't get me wrong, I would be honored for Him to use my life in that capacity; however, what is more important is that He breaks in with power, regardless of where it starts. The unified bride of Jesus is not one fractured with a patent-finding heart. He will not vindicate a competitive spirit with a lasting move of His Presence.

Holy Spirit, move in power, and find in me someone who will support that move, wherever You choose to let it begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment